BLOG

A note about Zen Jar and Gymboss

We have been getting swamped with emails (and even calls!) about Zen Jar and Gymboss lately, so I wanted to let everyone know the status of those apps.

When Apple released iOS 5, we were shocked to discover that a lot of older apps completely broke.  I’m still not sure exactly what caused it, because the SDK is so drastically different its hard to pinpoint exactly which change caused the failure.  Zen Jar and Gymboss are actually two of our oldest apps, now over two years old!  Hard to believe they have been out that long, but in those two years, those two apps have accumulated millions of users — There are somewhere around 50,000 active users of Zen Jar, and literally millions of users of the Gymboss timer.

Since we started building apps pretty much from the launch of the Apple App Store, a lot of our older apps are based on an older iOS SDK.  Zen Jar and Gymboss are two such apps, based on iOS 3.  Obviously a lot has changed between iOS 3 and iOS 5 — remember iOS 3 didn’t have multitasking, didn’t have push notifications, didn’t have copy/paste — the list goes on and on.

At any rate, the short story is that the iOS 5 issue hit us completely by surprise.  We had always planned on making a new, improved version of Zen Jar but hadn’t scheduled it, and we were actually in the preproduction phase of a new Gymboss 2 timer app when iOS 5 struck.  But we also had several other projects on our plate at the time.

So we are working on new versions of those apps! And they will be leaps and bounds above the original versions, but as I’m sure you can imagine building an app takes time.  We’re working as fast as we can though.

In the meantime, please feel free to post a comment here for either of those two apps telling us what you’d like to see in Gymboss 2 and Zen Jar 2.  We have some ideas, but we’d love to hear what the users want!

45 Comments to A note about Zen Jar and Gymboss

1. marliesa's Gravatar marliesa
    November 19, 2011 at 9:37 am

Will old zen jar still float about as it is doing so beautifully right now? When I make the switch , will I be able to take convos and karma with me or do I start over?

2. Mac's Gravatar Mac
    November 29, 2011 at 7:05 pm

My question is the same as Marliesa’s.

3. Eric's Gravatar Eric
    December 4, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I would really like to see Gymboss 2 designed for both the iPhone/iPod Touch and iPad. Most of the time I’ve used the app on my iPad because I prefer the higher visibility of the larger screen; however the interface doesn’t look as good when it’s expanded to fill the iPad’s screen.

4. December 5, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Please don’t change the simple and zenlike anonymous element of the app. I love that there are no user names or identifiers unless I choose. In fact , this simple little app has addicted thousands of people all over the world just as it is. :)
    A file search might be nice to loosely track old convos, and maybe a message block to screen offensive material. BUT THAT’S IT! lol
    Jk… I love this app just as it is.. And in the interest of keeping with the app integrity, if you change nothing- I’ll be thrilled just to find my old friends again.
    I can’t wait to see the new app released- Godspeed, Glowdot… I look forward to many more years of Zen thanks to your team..your app is Brilliant 

5. Sean's Gravatar Sean
    December 5, 2011 at 3:50 pm

My question is the same as Marliesa’s as well.

6. Denne's Gravatar Denne
    January 31, 2012 at 6:22 am

What I found with gymboss that I couldn’t find with other
    apps was the abbility to completely customize each set with
    individual durations within one workout. I loved the simplicity
    and the fact that I could customize my workout so that once
    I started, I never had to look at my phone again to know what
    to do next. Not that there couldn’t be improvements made, but
    that you maintain the apps original integrity!
    I hope this makes sense.

7. Piper's Gravatar Piper
    February 12, 2012 at 10:43 am

I’ve downloaded three other timers and combined they still don’t match the GB timer. I miss my Gymboss!!! I love how customizable it was and simple to interface. I would love a short countdown as a lead-in to a workout timer. Please hurry:)

8. marliesa's Gravatar marliesa
    February 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I see gymboss 2 in the app store, any word on when zen jar 2 will be available?

9. Me2's Gravatar Me2
    February 23, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I just popped in to see if there is any word on zen jar yet? I would love to update phones but believe it or not, losing the zen jar entirely is holding me back. Geesh, I guess that means I really am a zen jar addict.
    I truly hope that it maintains it’s anonymous nature.

10. March 3, 2012 at 12:52 am

Yes… Really hoping to hear some word soon regarding zen jar. I’m in the same boat as me2. I haven’t updated my iphone out of fear of losing zen completely,=\
    Addicted? Absolutely! Any idea of a timeline for the release of the new one ?
    We’re all quite excited and anxious for it to come out.

11. Sarah's Gravatar Sarah
    March 4, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Pleeeeeeeease hurry up with zen jar 2! I miss it!!! Can you give any idea when it will be re-released? =)

12. Shadi's Gravatar Shadi
    March 23, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Zen jar was the first app I ever paid for, and it was one of the first apps I ever got when I was a new ipod user. I really miss this app after going from ipod2, and upgrading to the new ipod4s. Please bring this app back, it was such a joy, I loved the anonymity and the love people put into their little notes.

13. Me2's Gravatar Me2
    April 4, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Where oh where is my zen jar 2?

14. April 16, 2012 at 1:54 am

Dear Glowdot, please don’t leave us dangling, , i miss zen jar ! I know there are about 60,000 others who are missing it as well. There was a time that you told us you would rebuild a better app for us,but we never complained about the first one- we just loved it. Please, can you just give us an update as to what is happening? We fear you have just abandon us.. Please tell me that isn’t so!

15. Loni's Gravatar Loni
    April 19, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Why did gym boss come back so fast and yet no word on zen jar?? Please, an update!

16. B's Gravatar B
    April 25, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I miss my zen jar…. :( (

17. Jennifer's Gravatar Jennifer
    May 11, 2012 at 6:20 am

My Gymboss 2 is working but no sound! Is this from iOS5? I can’t find any settings options within the app or on my iPhone settings. My ringer/phone sound is on and the sound is working in other apps. I even did a reset, still no beeps to signal my intervals. Anyone know what might be causing this? Please help! I use my Gymboss 2 app everyday and would love to have the sound back.

18. Ella's Gravatar Ella
    May 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Still waiting and hoping :-( (. Sometimes I tap the app just to hear the familiar “ping”

Please hurry.

19. Wakka Wakka's Gravatar Wakka Wakka
    May 29, 2012 at 3:31 am

I’d like to have Zen Jar back. It’s just no fun without it.

20. jane's Gravatar jane
    May 30, 2012 at 6:46 pm

hi. can you PLEASE just give us an update on zen jar 2?!?!?!

just a little update to let us know how much longer it’s going be till it’s released??

PLEEEEEASE???

21. Veggie Pizza's Gravatar Veggie Pizza
    June 3, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Zen jar is my favorite app of all time! I miss it so much. Don’t leave us in the dark!

22. June 5, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Zen jar? Pleeeeease? Pretty pleeeease with sugar on top??

23. June 13, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I am very excited after having read your most recent blog. I’m REALLY hoping this translates to , “We’ve found a way to make it viable to move forward with the Zen Jar 2 project”. After all, I don’t believe there is another app that can be MORE engaging! Its no secret that many users became addicted, and with a world wide user base (60,000 and counting) how can you fail?
    You can bet I’ll continue checking your site for a positive sign that we’ll be seeing ZenJar2 back in the app store real soon. :) ))
    Keeping my fingers crossed, -Tootsi..;)

24. marliesa's Gravatar marliesa
    June 14, 2012 at 10:50 am

Glowdots! Are you okay? Has tragedy struck your lives? Have you given up on ZenJar 2? I hope all is well with you. I have moved from anticipation to apathy due to your lack of response. Just sayin’….

25. Sean's Gravatar Sean
    June 15, 2012 at 7:10 am

I commented earlier about ZenJar when you all said you were going to be working on a new version, ZenJar 2. But that was back in December. When will you all give us an update on when it will be released. Keep in mind, iOS 6 comes out this fall from Apple.

26. June 18, 2012 at 9:21 am

Maybe they just need to know how much we miss this app. I say we flood them with emails until they give us something.

27. Mae's Gravatar Mae
    June 19, 2012 at 10:48 am

I hope that you are working on a new vershion of Zen jar as it is a very nice app. I have yet to find one that is even close to it. I love that you dont know who you are talking to no info is needed. I am more then willing to pay for the app again and pay more then its org cost.
    Thanks

28. Loni's Gravatar Loni
    June 29, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Unfortunately they aren’t coming out with one anytime soon. They say it costs too much to maintain and they have more important things going on. Aka they don’t give a hoot about their promises or their customers.

29. Murph's Gravatar Murph
    August 4, 2012 at 8:33 am

Zen jar update please! Begging here…..

30. August 10, 2012 at 7:33 am

I am wondering if you really just don’t understand how important a role zen jar has played in some peoples lives or if you just don’t care, Glowdot? That little app has saved lives, given shut ins a voice, at least one couple met and married there, named babies, offered advice to the abused, neglected and troubled, honed the skills of writers and given them the confidence they needed to write books, inspired poets and musicians, taught us huge amounts about geography, politics , world news, leveled the chat field giving way to convos between ALL peoples without concern for age, gender , color , ability, status or race.
    I’m sure, that if you are a truly smart and conscientious game maker you will realize the importance of a game that is so unique and perfectly simple that it can engage ALL the needs of ALL people, ALL of the time and find a way to make it a viable money making product for yourselves.

31. Loni's Gravatar Loni
    August 19, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I agree with toots. There are no other apps like it and that says volumes!

32. August 21, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Today on Zen Jar: A beautiful love letter including a marraige proposal and another life saved from a potential suicide…. Jus’ Sayin’ ….
    Thanks for a very good little app Glowdot.
    In November my 3g iphone contract runs out. I am not renewing until the release of the i5 phone. What I am hoping for even more is that a new Zen Jar 2 will be available when the i5 is released. That would make me the happiest customer and you my most favorite app maker…. Please? – signed, one of your biggest fans, Tootsi :)

33. Loni's Gravatar Loni
    August 23, 2012 at 10:09 pm

This world needs a zen jar.

34. September 13, 2012 at 8:55 pm

It seems that hard core fans of zen jar are finding there own way back from the ios5 quagmire and I couldn’t be happier to see the numbers are rising once again. I’m not sure how its happening but the numbers are growing once again..:)
    I suspect that they’re turning on old devices, and though I realize things are not s cool as they once were on zen jar, i believe we might “get by with a little help from our (old) friends”. Thats because we LOVE this app!
    Please, Glowdot, find it in your heart to rebuild for us…cause , honestly? Nobody wants to leave! We’re Zenaddicts!

35. September 19, 2012 at 12:13 am

Once upon a time a very great app maker named Glowdot asked its loyal customers for suggestions as to how to improve on Zen Jar for their soon to be released Zen Jar 2.
    After thoughtful consideration I offer you my wish list. I hope you like my suggestions, thank you in advance, -Bobby:
    -Reply “Notifiers” , so I don’t waste battery waiting for incoming messages
    - -message archive “Search” by using either date or content
    -”Save” and To Be Deleted” folders. TBD folders will automatically delete after a pre-determined (by user) number of days
    - colors and a selection of fonts encouraging artistic expression. These can be unlocked with specified numbers of Good Karma points.
    -and finally, karma point transfers on updates and device upgrades..
    Hope to see you in the app store soon , Glowdot, you’re the best there is! :) )

36. marliesa's Gravatar marliesa
    October 3, 2012 at 11:59 am

Lots of brouhaha in the jar vis a vis ZJ2. Bottom line for me: ZenJar is my favorite app ever. Thank you for creating it. Though the not knowing about ZenJar2 status is frustrating (see my previous posts), I prefer to focus on gratitude for what I’ve received thus far. I hope ZJ2 comes out, I will buy it.

37. Murph's Gravatar Murph
    November 4, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Is anybody listening or reading the comments? It would seem not.

38. November 8, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Would you please give us anything you can regarding zen jar 2? We are all desperate for any information , one way or the other as to whether you still have plans to move forward with that project or not. A simple “yes” or “no” will suffice… It may break our hearts but we’re waiting on pins and needles right now and its starting to sting a bit.
    -signed- Still Hoping For Zen Jar 2 .

39. Loni's Gravatar Loni
    November 29, 2012 at 6:22 am

Ok so I posted on a separate blog complaining about you not giving us any answer and you deleted it? WORST customer service ever! Guess you don’t want prospective customers see how you treated your past ones, huh?

40. Ed's Gravatar Ed
    September 8, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I demand Zen Jar 2 right now. I am tired of waiting. How long does it take to bring back a simple app? Absolutely no changes have to be made to it. Just bring it back.

41. Kathy's Gravatar Kathy
    January 15, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I have recently switched from an iphone to android. With Gymboss 2 I am unable to organize the timers in the timer list. The iphone app had an organize button which is missing on the android version. Also, my screen goes to sleep in the middle of an interval. This didn’t happen on the iphone version. Thanks!

42. Harlyn's Gravatar Harlyn
    February 13, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Ok. So I realize that I’m beating a dead horse here but its a good app and it’s hard to forget! I’m sure that someone over there had enjoyed ZENJAR as much as the other 60,000 or so users (Rick Strom?!?!?). I still don’t understand why it was simply abandoned rather than using it as a launch point for an improved Zen Jar 2? It’s a winner and to this day there is nothing that can compare to it! Please reconsider your decision to abandon that project and offer us a new improved version FOR PURCHASE!

43. A's Gravatar A
    March 2, 2014 at 3:46 am

I agree. I actually paid for full version of Zen Jar, and am not happy that the developers just abandoned its customers. It has been WAY too long, and there are no excuses for the developers not coming up with a functioning version by this time. If Zen Jar 2 is ever released, I certainly hope that paying customers of original Zen Jar will get v2 automatically.